Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Kody Grace's Story


I am a 5 year old female Black & Silver German Shepherd Dog (long hair). I was a healthy puppy but when I became sick this year with runny stools on-and-off and alittle vomiting, mom got scared and wondered if I have EPI like my littermate, Koda Boy who was diagnosed last year.

I had the cTLI test to see if I had EPI. The diagnosis was confirmed on May 28, 2009.
It is a specific test done by the vet and sent out to a lab.
My TLI score was 2.1. I had another TLI done two weeks later- after I fasted for 12 hours.
Vet needed to be sure before treating me with enzyme replacements. The second score was 1.4. A normal score is between 5-35.

Yes, I have EPI. -have lost 6 pounds - but I am now on my way to being healthy because
I am on new kibble...Grain free DVP's Natural Balance. This food is low in fiber -less than 4% and low in fat less than 12%.So important for EPI dogs. No grains means it is easier on my impaired GI tract.
I was diagnosed with SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth) about 70% of EPI-ers
have SIBO too. I was given an antibiotic for 20 days and then a shot of Tylan. Sibo is gone
though it may recur at some point. My paws are crossed and Mom prays SIBO doesn't return
as it sometimes does.

My food is now prepared by soaking in warm water- wait 10 minutes. Then my enzymes are sprinkled on- stirring a few times during 30 minutes of incubation to give replacement porcine enzymes time to break down the food. Usual dose: 1 cup food per 1 teaspoon enzyme to start. Breaking it down into smaller meals at first is recommended. 1 1/2 to 2 cups kibble to 1 1/2 to a 3/4 tsp enzymes three times a day.

EPI - Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency - is a disease which prevents
the pancreas from producing enzymes essential for the digestion of food. It is potentially life- threatening, without treatment, death can occur. I am lucky I got tested right away.
I am on my way to being a "healthy EPI-er"-yep, that's me.
Oh, I am also a Therapy Dog :-)~ for 2 years. I love all people, especially those who are sick.
I love to work!
More on "me" later.

Licks & Wags,

Kody Grace